- Who We Are
- Our Story
- Our Spirituality
- Mary Ward
- Where We Are
- Our Works
- Ministry of Spirituality
- Sister Profiles
- Join Us
- How to be Involved
- Support Us
- Contact Us
IBVM (Loretto) Advocates for Peace & Justice at the United Nations
Members of the IBVM (Loretto Sisters), conscious of the international and multicultural nature of our Institute, have made a commitment to focus on a number of issues in all ministries, institutions, projects and programs. These include:
- promoting the dignity and liberation of all, especially women and children;
- challenging unjust systems and structures;
- standing with those on the edges of society;
- promoting reverent care for the earth and all of creation.
These are goals which we as IBVM’s share with the United Nations in its efforts to promote human rights, and sustainable development, and to bring about a world where justice will ensure human security and dignity for all.
In 2002 the international Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary was officially awarded NGO status at the United Nations.
What is an NGO?
The letters stand for “non-governmental organization”. At the UN this refers to hundreds of not-for-profit voluntary citizens’ groups that share its humanitarian goals and have official ties.
IBVM JPIC Objectives (Justice, Peace & Integrity of Creation)
Through our work, our prayer and our lives, we seek to work towards a world more just, more peaceful and more respectful of creation in all its dimensions.
In September of 2005, IBVM worldwide made a commitment to promote the UN Millennium Development Goals in all areas of activity, focusing on the key ministry areas of education, community development, spiritual and pastoral care, advocacy and lobbying, relationship with the United Nations.
IBVM Commits to the UN Millennium Development Goals
- Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
- Achieve universal primary education for all
- Promote gender equality and empower women
- Reduce child mortality
- Improve maternal health
- Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- Ensure sustainable development
- Develop a global partnership for development.
What you can do: